I don’t make a traditional three bean salad. It actually started out as a dish I put together from leftovers in the fridge and pantry. I don’t use green beans and I add in pepper and carrots for more crunch. I usually make this Three Bean Salad in a big batch to have on hand for lunches or even a quick snack. High in protein and fiber, it’s a great dish for weight-loss.
Aside from eating just as it is, there’s so much you can do with this salad once prepared: use as a topper on melba toast or crostini, use in a lettuce roll-up, add to a soup or a regular salad.
- 15 oz can cannellini beans (drained and rinsed)
- 15 oz can chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 15 oz can red kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 celery stalks (optional – chopped to desired size) or you can use green bell pepper
- 2 carrots (chopped to desired size)
- 1/2 red onion (finely chopped)
- 1 cup parsley leaves (fresh, chopped)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
Refrigerate the beans for several hours – the longer the beans sit, the more they soak up the flavor of the dressing. I find this salad to be best the day after it is prepared.Enjoy!